This is a low-calorie, quick and easy recipe that has a great taste.
- ~Cuban Chicken~
- 2 large boneless, skin-less chicken breasts, diced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 15.5 oz can Mexican style seasoned chili beans
- 1 12 oz can low-sodium/no salt added corn kernels, drained, or 1.5 cups frozen kernels
- 6 large green onions (scallions), sliced (tops and bottoms) (I used regular onion)
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp dried or fresh chopped cilantro leaves
- ~Spanish Rice~
- 2 cups instant brown or white rice
- 1 14.5 oz can low-sodium stewed tomatoes, pureed to a liquid
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp cilantro leaves
- 2 tsp onion powder
In large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil.
Add chicken, garlic, and scallions. Sautee about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink inside and slightly browned.
Add drained corn kernels, Mexican chili beans (do not drain!), cumin and cilantro. Stir well. Simmer about 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally, until hot.
Online says: While chicken is cooking, in a medium saucepan, bring pureed stewed tomatoes, ground cumin, cilantro, and onion powder to a boil. (I used canned tomatoes and tasted just fine)
Add rice, stir well. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand for about 5-8 minutes until all liquid is absorbed, then fluff with a fork.
Serve Cuban Chicken over Spanish Rice and enjoy!
Makes 6 equal servings.
Number of Servings: 6